Pumpkin Cookie Pops
- ¾ C unsalted butter, softened
- ½ C brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ C canned or fresh cooked pumpkin
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 ¼ C all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 20 wooden sticks (tongue depressors or Popsicle sticks work best)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine with electric mixer the butter, brown sugar and orange zest. Add the pumpkin, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix.
- Gradually add the flour and spices. Mix with your hands to create a soft dough. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into two pieces. Roll out each piece to
- 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into pumpkin shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and securely insert a wooden stick into the bottom half of each pumpkin cookie.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Decorate with favorite frosting
During Halloween it's important to stay away from hard, sticky, crunchy or chewy candy and snacks. These include caramel, gummies, licorice, taffy, bubblegum (even the sugarless kind), jelly beans and soft drinks. Sweets can cause cavities, which means brushing and flossing are more important than ever during the Halloween season. Orthodontic patients should be especially vigilant about brushing and flossing after consuming sugary or starchy foods.